The PNI Nigeria, Institute for Sustainable Development has been supporting the capacity development of the Egi Community Development Foundation
WIth over 10 years of experience in facilitating effective community development programmes in the Niger Delta, the PNI Nigeria, Institute for Sustainable Development (ISD) was requested to provide training for the staff and members of the Egi Community Development Foundation.
The ECDF was started by a group of concerned citizens from the Egi region in River State. The ISD has supported them by facilitated the following training workshops:
- Training ECDF staff, volunteers, community leaders and management team
- Team building, Leadership and Good Governance
- Facilitation skills for participatory development
- Sustainable Livelihoods Approach ( SLA )
- Participation and Facilitation Skills
- Small and Medium Scale Enterprises
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Participatory Planning
The ISD intends to work with the ECDF Management to facilitate at least 2 more training before the end of 2008. The training workshops proposed include:
- Participatory Budgeting
- People Management
In addition, PNI has acted as a mentor to the management team of the foundation, in particular assisting them with legal and administrative matter to assist them in becoming a legal registered operating body in Nigeria.
Some of Egi CDF’s accomplishments include:
- Facilitation of a sustainable development agenda communication programme in collaboration with Sullivan & Sullivan Consulting. This communication programme promoted new thinking on sustainable development in Egi communities.
- A socio-economic baseline survey in collaboration with Eyee Walter Development Company to support development interventions.
- Collaboration in the production of an Egi Sustainable Development Master Plan. The aim of this programme was to develop a structured plan to promote synergy in development interventions in Egi.
- The Egi CDF supported local income generation through specific projects and volunteer programmes.
It is expected that Egi CDF will support community based development planning and begin facilitating institutions in the community to implement development programmes in 2008, sponsored by EPNL/Total.